Sunday 2 June 2019

Serious about spirits

After more than a decade of drinking whisky, and a failed attempt at (seriously) drinking other spirits, I finally decided to try again.

Now I can't really get excited about gin, as my palate doesn't discriminate very well among those subtle botanicals. If gin tastes samey, imagine what vodka tastes like to me. No, I prefer distillation-driven spirits, where complex, robust flavour comes from the skill of the distiller, the craft of the blender, the embrace of the wood, and plain old seasoning by Father Time.

So here's my second set of tasting notes, picked up along my travels in the wonderful world that is brandy. Why brandy, you may ask? Well, for the best reason of all - I like drinking brandy, nearly as much as I do whisky. I feel brandy is an under appreciated spirit.

Rum may or may not follow - I can't really get over the immense amount of sugar and flavouring in some rums. Lugging a hydrometer around to measure relative density feels like a faff, and so I'm going to have to adjust my tasting style for some rums (and I'm loth to do that).

Tequila and other spirits from the agave plant may make an appearance at some point. I'm wholly under-experienced here, but always willing to learn.

Best not to get me started on baijiu. Now there's something I don't think I'll ever understand.

But enough about stuff that's not brandy. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment